Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Monster Month Days 1-6

I decided to sketch a monster for every day of October a week into the month, so here's the first set as I attempt to catch up. Obviously these are my takes on the classic "Universal Pictures" movie monsters. First is my version Dracula (not just a generic vampire). The creepiest part of the book is when he crawls down the side of his castle. At this point he isn't fully rejuvenated so he still looks pale and ghoulish.


Next is Frankenstein's Monster. He's a tough one because the iconic Boris Karloff version is nothing like the monster in the book, who complains of his creator's rejection in eloquent monologues while his long black hair blows in the wind. So emo.


Never seen the movie, but in the book the monster begs Victor Frankenstein to create a mate for him (which he doesn't, inspiring the monster to murder Vic's fiance). Stuck close to the movie version.


Not really happy with this one. The WolfMAN is man whose evil, beastly is manifested in physical form. That's more scary than a man who is trapped inside the body of a wereWOLF. It's hard to find the balance between animal and human features and this didn't turn out the way I wanted but I had to press on.


My favorite classic monster simply for how bizarre he is. While the other monsters have roots in myths and classic literature, the Gill Man just sort of comes out of nowhere. Prehistoric fish man wants to steal your girlfriend - why?


I think this is a pretty good sketch, but the Mummy is still kind of a boring monster.


No comments: