Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Job in Comics

cover design
I've sort of secretly been working on a graphic novel adaptation of the book of Job. The narrative portion of Job quickly gives way to the "exalted prose" or poetic speeches that take up the majority of the text - my comic would condense a great deal of that and expand a bit on the life of Job before and during the crises using elements from the pseudepigraphal "Testament of Job".

I'd like to eventually do a series of graphic novels covering the entire Bible in great detail, but I thought I'd start with the story of Job because it stands on its own. No characters age or reoccur in other parts of the Bible (except Satan), plus the time period and geographic location are vague, so I can get away with fudging the historic details, instead of getting bogged down in researching every clay pot and sandal.

Job before and after

sick Job

Job's "friends"

No comments: