Friday, April 18, 2014

Crucifixture (line art)

Finally got around to watching the Bible miniseries on DVD this week. Enjoyed it and felt inspired to do an illustration appropriate for the current holiday. I think it's the first Jesus film I've seen that makes an effort to depict the Jewish leaders as being caught between a rock and a hard place - "we have to kill Jesus or else things will get out of control and the Romans will crush our nation." At least that's how I read it - probably an attempt to avoid the usual "anti-Semitic" controversy. So instead they got "Obama is the devil" accusations.



Work in progress... Sometimes I am blessed and my drawings turn out good. Listened to Olivier Messiaen's "L'Ascension" and Johann Sebastian Bach's "St. Matthew's Passion" while working on this.

Not to make light of the serious subject matter, but for giggles here's my photo reference.



No comments: